WCE Judge Certification
Participants will demonstrate skill and knowledge during a two-day test. WCE Committee Leadership will guide participants through a series of performance-based and written tests that measure a judge’s ability to perform successfully in a WCE Competition.
Qualified participants who pass all written and practical tests in any World Championship assessment will be authorized to judge in that World Championship. The two-day test will offer opportunities to certify for the World Barista Championship, World Latte Art Championship, World Brewers Cup, World Coffee in Good Spirits Championship, World Coffee Roasting Championship, and the Cezve/Ibrik Championship. A participant may certify for any or all of these championships over the course of the certification. Participants may only certify for technical or sensory judging, and cannot test for both at a single Judge Certification. Upon registration, all participants will pay a fee in order to sit the test. The registration fee covers the administration of the test, regardless of result. Anyone passing the test will be issued a Judge Certificate free of charge.
Once achieved, WCE Judge Certification is valid for three (3) years. For certifications starting in 2015 and later, a certified judge may renew their certification for an additional three (3) years by passing calibration and judging in a World Championship in the final year of their original certification. A judge may only renew their certification one time without re-testing.
Upcoming Dates, Locations, and Pricing for Judge Certifications
- Melbourne, Australia (Veneziano Coffee – Richmond) [Postponed]
- Pricing: EUR€ 450 for SCA-members, EUR€ 485 for non-members
Apply for a Judge Certification
These documents will be used to determine your eligibility for Judge Certification. If there is availability on your chosen date, a member of staff will follow up with a link for you to complete payment.
After this step is completed, you will be officially registered for WCE Judge Certification.
For any questions about the process or you application status, please email [email protected].
The minimum prerequisites to attend a WCE Judge Certification are listed below, but we advise having more experience before taking the exam.
- Judging experience in one (1) world championship (World Latte Art Championship, World Coffee in Good Spirits, World Brewers Cup, World Barista Championship
- OR two (2) years’ experience judging in the finals of the same national-level Latte Art, Coffee in Good Spirits, Brewers Cup, or Barista Competition*
- OR one (1) year of judging experience at a national-level WCE sanctioned competition AND one (1) fully completed World Competitions Education Program** for the specific competition.
- Judging experience must be within the last 5 years to maintain eligibility.
- Agree to abide by the WCE Judges Code of Conduct.
- Pay all testing fees.
*You must have two years’ experience judging in the national finals of each competition you are applying to certify in.
**After completing a WCEP date, applicants must wait a minimum of 1 month before applying for a WCE Judge Certification. It is not possible to progress directly from a WCEP to a WCE Judge Certification. This is the minimum required time to apply the skills learned at a WCEP date.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
WCE reserves the right to cancel a Judge Certification at any time. In the event of a WCE cancellation, registrants will be offered an opportunity to transfer registration to another planned workshop. Requests for refunds due to WCE cancellation of a workshop may be sent to [email protected]