According to the Rules and Regulations, all competitors at the World Barista Championship are asked to compete on a shared set of equipment to give them a standardized starting point. In order to enable this, the competition’s Qualified Sponsors provide equipment for all competitors. This document outlines the procedures around the provision of espresso grinders. These procedures are supplemental information for competitors, designed to answer common questions about the equipment. For more information about grinders, please refer to section 4.4 of the WBC Rules. For information on the provided espresso machine, please see section 4.1.
Any questions may be directed to [email protected]
- Competitors may only compete in the WBC using the following Mahlkönig grinder models: Peak, EK43, or the shorter EK43(S). Mahlkönig will provide grinders to competitors, based on the grinder model each competitor selects at registration.
- All grinders will be brand new.
- All grinders will have standard “Coffee” burrs installed, which will go through seasoning at the factory. Additional seasoning of all grinders will be done on site before being distributed to competitors.
- During online registration, WBC competitors will be asked to select whether they intend to bring their own grinders, or use the provided grinders, and if they intend to use provided grinders, what model(s) they would like to use.
- If a competitor chooses to use a provided grinder, they will receive their grinder onsite before their scheduled practice time, at which point they become responsible for the grinder.
- Competitors may not take sponsor grinders off-site.
- Competitors will return their grinder(s) to Mahlkönig once they are done with their competition time.
- If a grinder is not returned in good condition, the competitor will be invoiced.
- Competitors may not internally modify their grinders or install any other parts.
- In the case of a competitor bringing their own grinder, that grinder must be one of the approved models, with the “Coffee” burr-set and only manufacturer’s original parts installed, with no modifications or additions.
- Burr-alignment procedures or components that competitors have already applied on their personal grinders will not be considered “modifications” under the rules. All personal grinders will still need to be inspected and verified to be using manufacturer original parts, and the Coffee burr-set.
- All grinders that competitors bring themselves will have their status verified by Mahlkönig prior to competitor practice time. A sticker will be applied to seal the grinder, which may not be opened from that point.
- If it becomes necessary to open any grinder at any point, the grinder must be resubmitted to Mahlkönig for inspection and sealing.
- All grinders will have their seals inspected before they are allowed on stage.
- Competitors are responsible for ensuring that there is enough time for Mahlkönig to inspect and seal grinders before their competition time.